10 September 2008

Two Months

Today marks 2 months since I left. (I've added the super-cool counter so I don't have to do the math!!) Things are starting to roll into a bit of a routine, which is my excuse for not posting an update lately. There hasn't been much to write!

This weekend we have a 4-day weekend, they call it a "puente" (bridge). Tuesday the 16th of September is Mexican Independence Day, and we have Monday off (in exchange for working the following Saturday, which kind of stinks). But I am very happy for 4 days off, it gives me enough time to visit someplace new. But it was tricky to decide where, given how long it takes to get to most places...

After much consideration, I've decided to go to the state of Veracruz, on the Gulf Coast. I'm leaving Friday night after work, taking the van to Oaxaca city and then a midnight bus to arrive in the city of Veracruz around 6am on Saturday. I have my hotel booked for 3 nights in Veracruz (the city), and I'm planning on a day trip to Xalapa, the capital of the state of Veracruz. The main touristy things I hope to see are the Museum of Anthropology in Xalapa, and the Aquarium in Veracruz. Besides that I'm excited to be in real cities, taste some different foods, maybe get a haircut...

Monday night is the big night for commemorating Mexican Independence with a reenactment of "el Grito," the shout of "¡Viva México!" given by Miguel Hidalgo in 1810 to begin the Mexican War of Independence. I think in most towns there will be big fiestas in the centers. Tuesday (from what I hear) there are more somber parades and military/political processions, nothing too exciting. But it will be interesting to check out.

I think I'm going to come back on a late night bus from Veracruz on Tuesday night, which means arriving in Oaxaca city around 5am on Wednesday, enough time to take the van and have a coffee and get to work. So I'll be pretty tired, but it will be worth it (I think!)...

In preparation for the trip, I'm finally buying a new camera this evening (I've been stealing other people's fotos since Guatemala!!). So when I come back on Wednesday I should have lots of good pics to share!