17 February 2009

Humberto's wedding

On Saturday, Día de San Valentín, I went to my friend Humberto's wedding. Humberto is from a small town outside of Oaxaca city, San Agustín Yatareni, but he's been living and working in the Berkshires for a number of years. I met him when he was studying English, and we've remained friends. He came down to visit his family back in August, which was wonderful because I was really needing to see a familiar face then. He told me he was planning to propose to his girlfriend (who is from the same town), and when she said yes, their wedding was planned for May of this year. I was disappointed that I'd miss the wedding (leaving Mexico in just over 2 weeks), but then I received a surprise call from Humberto saying they were getting married on February 14th. So I was able to attend after all...

These first 2 photos I tried to take discreetly during the "official" wedding shoot, when the professional photographer had them nicely posed and well-lit... But because of issues with my camera's flash and my unwillingness to interrupt too much in order to re-take fotos, they came out less-than-optimal. But you get the idea...

And some other fotos, the only ones that came out (lighting was tricky, there was almost always the shining glare of either the sun or an artificial light when I tried to take a picture!). I also felt uncomfortable taking too many fotos, as nobody else had a camera and I was already sticking out like a sore thumb (a feeling I'm certainly getting used to down here!)



This last picture I took the morning after, while I was waiting for the taxi to come and take me back to Oaxaca city... Humberto and his new wife Fabiola, and Humberto's parents (whose names I never learned, strangely enough!)